The late Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj, the Father of Independence; the late Tan Sri P Ramlee, the silver screen legend; and Datuk Nicol David, the greatest woman squash player of all time, are some of the many iconic figures who have inspired Jacob’s to embark on its The Original Cream Cracker Celebrates Original Malaysians campaign in conjunction with Merdeka.
As the nation celebrates its 62nd year of Independence this year, Jacob’s, a biscuit brand under snacking powerhouse Mondelez International, aims to put a spotlight on some of Malaysia’s greatest icons in recognition of their accomplishments in being the first, the best, and the original of their crafts.
Commenting on the campaign, Raja Zalina Raja Safran, Head of Corporate and Government Affairs, Mondelez International (Malaysia) said, “Jacob’s biscuits have been in Malaysia for 66 years, even before Malaysia gained its Independence in 1957.
Because of its long-standing presence in Malaysia, Jacob’s has always been known as the original cream cracker by consumers. The way we manufacture Jacob’s crackers may have evolved over time, but the one thing that has remained the same is its original recipe and distinctive taste, which our loyal fans know so well.
“Jacob’s The Original Cream Cracker Celebrates Original Malaysians campaign is our way of celebrating the rich history of our nation and looking back upon what has been accomplished thus far. This Merdeka, we could do with more of such reminders about all the things that make Malaysia great!” added Raja Zalina.
The Jacob’s Original Cream Cracker Celebrates Original Malaysians campaign will feature eight inspiring and original Malaysian personalities who are legends in their own fields:
- Tunku Abdul Rahman – the first Prime Minister of Malaysia who gave Malaysia its independence.
- Tan Sri P Ramlee – regarded as a national treasure in the local entertainment industry for his contribution to the movie and music industry, and literary works.
- Datuk Nicol David – the best squash queen who is well known for being the longest reigning world squash champion and for bringing squash to the international arena.
- Bram Lee – the first Malaysian YouTube star to hit 1,000,000 subscribers, and the original young figure in the field of social media.
- Farah Ann – an internationally acclaimed gymnastic icon, the first Malaysian personality in her sport.
- A Chandramalar – also known as the Woman of Steel, she was the first Malaysian trailblazing policewoman to head the Anti-Vice Branch in Penang.
- Marina Ahmad – the Mount Everest conqueror, she was the first Malaysian woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
- Yaashwin Sarawanan – the Human Calculator and youngest personality on this list is being celebrated as the first Malaysian to emerge runner-up on ‘Asia’s Got Talent’.
“We are truly honoured to be associated with these Original icons who are also original in their own way. Their passion and commitment continue to inspire us to be proud Malaysians,” commented Raja Zalina.
Farah Ann, who grew up enjoying Jacob’s cream crackers said, “It is truly an honour to be part of this campaign and be in the same league with these amazing icons who are Original Malaysians. I am blessed. Thank you Jacob’s Original Cream Cracker.”
The campaign, which kicked off in August, will end on Malaysia Day (16 September).