A new terrestrial TV for Malaysia in January

Namthumbnail

 

NAM Channel

(NAM TV’s Chief Executive Officer Shahool Hameed Mohamad Meerah speaking at the launch. Picture from NST Online)

(marketingmagazine.com.my) – According to the New Straits Times Online, Malaysia’s eighth free-to-air TV station will begin transmission in January next year. It is dubbed NAM TV which is short for ‘Network for All Malaysians’ and comes from the word Nam-aste. Nam is also short for ‘our’ in Tamil.

NAM TV’s Chief Executive Officer Shahool Hameed Mohamad Meerah says the station is aimed at talented and promising filmmakers and TV producers, besides highlighting programmes that enhance nation building and national unity.

“Nam TV’s main target are Malaysians of Tamil origin who speak Tamil as their mother tongue. However, we are a Malaysian channel first and we’ll always have programmes in Malay and English, as well as the occasional Chinese language programmes,” says Shahool during an interview at a recent Press conference at the Malaysian Film Development Corporation Pitching Centre in Platinum Sentral, Kuala Lumpur.

60% of channel’s programmes will be in Tamil, including other Indian languages such as Malayalam and Punjabi. “The remaining 40% will be evenly divided between Malay and English programmes. In total there’ll be about 40 programmes daily.” Broadcasting begins at 6am and ends 18 hours later at midnight every day. “We will gradually increase the schedule, and one day Nam TV will be a 24-hour channel,” Shahool told the newsportal. Programmes will be mainly about local tourist attractions, culture, history, cuisine, issues of public interest, money matters, sports, education and development. 

“We’ll screen occasional forums about public issues, special Government-produced films that promote health and safety, and entertainment programmes that highlight the country’s less-known talents from all races. For directors and producers who cater to the Tamil-speaking community, we want Nam TV to be their products’ main destination. We plan to showcase their new and original dramas, comedies, documentaries, game shows and telemovies,” says Shahool.

They will also air award-winning movies as they are looking out for outstanding filmmakers and producers. Also in the offing will be musical programmes and concerts for both local and foreign music. They will showcase Malaysian Indian entertainers who have been acknowledged overseas and NAM TV will keep track of their progress. Legendary musicians such as Search and Alleycats will also not be forgotten.

As for news programmes, NAM TV will have its own team of newscasters and reporters who will present on-the-spot news to viewers. “For this, we have studied the workings of established TV stations’ news programmes and magazines. The difference is, we will design them to fit our own brand image.” As for marketing the station’s programmes, Nam TV may rope in a few popular entertainers to appear in its promotional advertisements. “We don’t have anyone in particular right now, but we’re keen on working with some major names in TV, especially hosts and comedians.”

Initially, the station’s content will be 50% Malaysian and 50% foreign.

Shahool explains that local content will be increased to 60% gradually. “If there are local series and films that we want to screen, they must be of good quality and better still, be produced by producers who have a good track record in filmmaking.”

 

mmc2016 speakers fullWill you Sink or Swim in 2017?

Back in its 12th year, the Malaysian Media Conference is set to take a deep dive into the world of DATALYTICS!

From understanding data touchpoints and improving customer experience to how brands and agencies can fuse data with their creative executions.

Look forward to a full day of case studies and real-market experiences from the following speakers:

• Linda Hassan, Head of Marketing – Domino’s Pizza Malaysia & Singapore
• Rahul Thappa, Vice President of Data Analytics, Astro
• Sujith Rao, Senior Director – Digital Analytics at IPG Mediabrands
• Chan Woei Hern, Executive Creative Director, EnsembleWW
• Bala Pomaleh, CEO, IPG Mediabrands
• Teeradet Dumrongbhalasitr- Head of Commercial, Asia Pacific Dunnhumby
• Anser Aly – Senior Global Brand Manager, Unilever Asia
• Lars Setsaa – Head of Revenue Management and Analytics – Digi Telecommunications

Those are just the tip of the iceberg, on the MMC stage, you will also hear latest innovations from Twitter, Unilever and more!

Download the full programme here

Date: 14 November 2016
Time: 08:30am – 06:00pm
Venue: The Grand Ballroom, Sime Darby Convention Centre Bukit Kiara

Interested in joining or sponsoring the event? Contact: [email protected]



MARKETING Magazine is not responsible for the content of external sites.



Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates in the marketing and advertising scene