(marketingmagazine.com.my) – It is Wednesday morning at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in the south of France.
And it is not roaring at all for Malaysia, a country that won the Outdoor Grand Prix here in 2004.
We have had shortlists in Product Design and Health, but zero metal so far.
• Malaysia has 328 entries at Cannes Lions this year compared to 413 last year. There are 10 registered delegates from the Malaysian advertising, marketing and media industries this year, same as last year.
• “Smoke And Mirrors Marketing Is Over,” says Will Smith Hollywood star to Cannes Lions audience and added that “the power has gone away from marketers.”
• Yahoo has launched ‘Tiles’ a new mobile ad format that lets brands to tell visual stories on mobile devices. When consumers click on a mobile ad, they will be taken to a custom mobile landing page that can feature 360-degree content, including video and images, as well as interactive features such as swipeable images, and social feeds.
• A scheduled event for Star Trek Beyond at Cannes has been canceled by Paramount Pictures following co-star Anton Yelchin’s death Sunday at the 63rd Cannes Lions festival which features a slate of star-studded talks and appearances.
• “The way we handle these things is by not reacting in Cannes. To really look at these things you need time, you need to take a deep dive. So when we get a controversy — we wait till after Cannes — look at it, investigate it and take whatever appropriate measures we need to, “ commented Cannes Lions chairman Terry Savage on news of a Lion-winning entry being written off as a scam; Grey Singapore’s I Sea app which won a Bronze Lion in Promo & Activation on day one of Lions Innovation.
• A mini scandal broke at Cannes when a party invite seeking “attractive females and models only.” leaked on social media. Industry veteran, Cindy Gallop put the companies on blast on Twitter stating “It’s 2016, @vaynermedia @thrillist. This is not how you party at @cannes_lions.” CEOes of both companies had since apologised for the incident stating that the invite was issued by an external vendor. Gender equality in the industry has been a topic of discussion at Cannes with its Lions Live session on ‘Gender Equality is No Laughing Matter’ and its ‘See It Be It’ initiative to support female creatives.
A glimpse of this year’s Cannes:
Usher speaks to Ryan Seacrest during ‘An Intimate Conversation with Usher’ Seminar hosted by iHeartMedia during The Cannes Lions Festival 2016 on June 21, 2016 in Cannes, France. RICHARD BORD/GETTY IMAGES
The Hammer runs into Malaysian Ronald Ng who is Chief Creative Officer of DigitasLBi North America.
Dentsu Asia Pacific Chief Creative officer, Ted Lim (second from right), is the first Malaysian to sit on the Cannes Lions Titanium & Integrated Jury!
CEO of Best Marketing International Hando Sinisalu with The Hammer in Monte Carlo.
Check out our Cannes Live streaming schedule here
WIN the Content Marketing game
For the sixth year running, we are bringing back the famous Best of Global Digital Marketing Conference to KL with a special focus on Content Marketing this year.
Featuring the best case studies
The Best of Global Digital Marketing conference has won popularity in more than 30 cities around the world from Singapore, Moscow, Jakarta, Istanbul to Amsterdam, Johannesburg, Prague, Shanghai, Seoul, etc.
Featuring leading award-winning campaigns covering brands from Sony, Buzzfeed, Dell, BBC, The New York Times, P&G and more.
Speakers with digital domain expertise:
• Hando Sinisalu, CEO at Best Marketing International
• Xaviera Ringeling, CEO at ContentChefs
• Mathias Ihle, Founder & CEO at Makai Europe
• Bikram VaskarGangopadhyay, CEO at ibs – Interface Business Solutions
Unique case-study based learning, as our team monitors over 200 digital marketing award shows across the globe and interviews the winners. Based on this extensive work, we produce in-depth case studies.
Each case study follows the same format:
Date: 19 July, 2015 (Tuesday)
Venue: Eastin Hotel, PJ
Time: 8.30am – 5.00pm
Book your seats early: call Ruby on 03-77262588 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This event is HRDF-Claimable!