The New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd (NSTP) has lodged a police report over a bogus donation drive, which used the name of one of its newspapers, the New Straits Times (NST).
The company, in a statement, said it was recently made aware of the matter by several individuals, who had been approached by certain individuals claiming to represent the company.
The individuals, claiming to represent the company, were collecting funds through the sale of dining tables, purportedly for a dinner ceremony which was said to be organised by NSTP in Kuala Lumpur.
The bogus donation drive was disseminated via WhatsApp.
“The said individual demanded a sum of RM550 to purchase a dining table for the said dinner and had asked that the amount to be deposited into his personal Maybank account,” said the company.
NSTP on Tuesday lodged a police report over the matter at the Pantai police station.
The police report, said the company, was made to protect the credibility of the NST and that of NSTP, as the company was not organising any dinner ceremony as claimed, neither did it appoint any individual to represent the company to solicit funds.
“NST therefore urges the public not to be misconstrued with the said message, as well as to not implicate its bogus content with the newspaper,” said the company.