(Marketingmagazine.com.my) – “What time is it when it hits ‘bomb o’clock”, is one of the many poignant quotes one can be expected to take away from ‘Hoka Hey, A Good Day to Die’, a documentary produced by local production company, Monfils Pictures.
The documentary premieres in June at the Biografilm Festival in Italy and showcased at ‘Malaysia Goes to Cannes’ in Marche du Film 2016.
A production five years in the making, ‘Hoka Hey, A Good Day to Die’ tells the story of Jason P. Howe, a British conflict photographer. Surviving 12 years being on the frontlines of four wars – Columbia, Iraq, Lebanon and Afghanistan – Jason has captured moving images of humanity at war, it’s suffering, and cultures in disarray.
The film’s title ‘HOKA HEY’ was inspired by the tattoo on Jason’s arm, a Native American Indian war cry which means “a good day to die”, a thought he is constantly faced with given the dangers of his profession.
Being on the front lines came with its own cost, in an interview with UK’s Telegraph Jason explained how his pursuit of chasing the perfect picture led him to face death in the eye several times.
The creative genius responsible for sharing Jason’s tale to the word is Harold Monfils, an award-winning filmmaker with a career spanning over 30-years in the advertising industry.
Having lived in Kuala Lumpur since 1995, the Dutch filmmaker then founded Monfils Pictures (previously known as Boo Films), a production company serving local and international brands.
Apart from producing advertorial campaigns, Harold’s other directorial pursuits include the “Laya Project”, a visual musical journey dedicated to the survivors of the 2004 Asian tsunami.
He met Jason in 2010 and was blown away by his work and life stories that read like the adventures of Tin Tin.
“I started in the industry as a coffee boy at the age of 17 and I made a film about a British conflict photographer – Jason P. Howe – because his life story beats my story about chasing one’s dream,” Harold commented.
Check out the trailer here:
APPIES Malaysia 2016 Marketing Conference open for registrations!
‘2-day MBA’ in Marketing, ‘TED of Marketing’, call it what you will, and come what may, we will see you on May 19 & 20 at the Eastin Hotel.
• 36 latest Marketing Case-Studies
• 22 marketing leaders as Judges
• 3 top-notch Keynote Speakers
* 4 Game-Changing Panel Speakers
Says Chief Judge Adam Wee Abdullah, Group CMO of CIMB Banking Group about judging the entries, “Clarity in the Objective statement is fundamental. If this is not clear, the solutions will not be clear as well. It is also important to juxtapose the expected outcome against the Objective statement so you can gauge if the strategies are aligned. It’s a bit like looking through the scope of a sniper’s rifle.”
Date: 19 & 20 May, 2016
Venue: The Grand Ballroom, Eastin Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Time: 8.30am – 6.00pm
To register, go to APPIES REGISTRATION.
Download full brochure here.
Or contact Ruby on 03-7726 2588, [email protected]
APPIES Malaysia 2016 judges:
• Abdul Sani Abdul Murad – Head of Marketing, HSBC Malaysia
• Ben Mahmud – Head of Retail Marketing, Shell Malaysia Trading
• Eric Wong – Marketing Director, IBM Malaysia
• Fiona Liao – Chief Brand Officer, Prudential Assurance Malaysia
• Jasmine Lee – Chief Marketing Officer, U Mobile
• Jauhar Munir Shaikh – FVP, Brand Marketing for F&N Malaysia
• Loh Keh Jiat – CMO, Digi Telecommunications Sdn Bhd
• Mark Ng – ASEAN Marketing Director, Castrol
• Martin Soong – Marketing Manager, Fonterra Brands Malaysia
• Matthew Ho – Regional Digital Marketing Director, Huawei Technologies Malaysia
• Nirinder Singh Johl – GM of Strategic Communications, Tenaga Nasional Berhad
en Sabrina – Head of Brand Communications- Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC)
• Pan Choi Yen – GM of Marketing, WIPRO-UNZA Malaysia
• Philip Whittaker – Group Chief Marketing Officer, Themed Attractions & Resorts
• Rizan Ismail – Head of Brand Management, PETRONAS
• Santharuban T. Sundaram – Group Marketing Manager, Permanis Sandilands
• Stephane Vilquin – Marketing Director, Campbell Soup Southeast Asia
• Syahar Khalid – Digital Engagement Manager, Nestlé Products Malaysia
• Vincent Chong – Marketing Director of Unilever Malaysia
• Zaki Zin – Marketing Director, Wyeth Nutrition Malaysia
• Zalman Aefendy Zainal Abidin – Chief Marketing Officer, Celcom AXIATA
‘Hoka Hey, A Good Day to Die’, a locally produced documentary, will feature in two global film festivals
MARKETING Magazine is not responsible for the content of external sites.