(Marketingmagazine.com.my) – By GS Kumar
They say necessity is the “mother of invention “….even if that takes you to the rooftops.
Shell obviously saw the innovation in this roof-top idea and became the pioneering marketer to use this new advertising option, with more in the offing.
S. Sooria, CEO of Andaman Media disclosed that similar formats will be appearing in the coming months, starting with the toll plazas at Batu Tiga, Damansara and Subang.
He added, “The Toll Plaza Rooftop Advertisement is the first and one-of-a-kind for outdoor advertising in Malaysia, standing out from conventional outdoor platforms like unipoles, gantries or arch billboards.”
“The entire process was split between two teams who worked from 10pm to 5am daily to complete the installation in 16 days. Stickers were hand-placed one at a time on each tile. There were many challenges, like working at night, rainy weather, etc.”
According to Sooria, there are about 500,000 vehicles travelling in and out of Kuala Lumpur using the Duta Toll Plaza daily, with an exponential increase during holidays.
Speaking to MARKETING Magazine, Sooria pointed out that both client and the public were taken up by the creativity.
“With the success and impact attained at the Duta Toll, Shell is looking for another toll plaza that can provide the same impact and prominence.”
It has certainly become the talk of the town among those in the outdoor ad industry.
According to Manjiri Kamat, Managing Director of Kinetic Worldwide – OOH Media Agency for Shell and Mediacom, “Shell is our key client. Our endeavour at all times is to go to Shell with new opportunities/innovations and formats that will make Shell stand out, establish them as the market leader and enhance their image.”
“When Sooria from Andaman Media came to us with the ‘Branding of Toll gate rooftops’ opportunity , a first in Malaysia, we immediately decided this ties in with Shell’s objectives.”
Execution of the branding on the toll was fraught with huge obstacles.
Sooria shares, “Rainy days meant … slippery roof top and work had to be stalled till the roof dried…..busy and high traffic junction meant installation could only be done after midnight until the wee hours of the morning…..installers worked around the Christmas holidays and several different public holidays to ensure that the task was completed before promised dates.”
“To the concessionaire, it has become a “non-toll revenue,” he adds.
According to industry figures, total Out-Of-Home (OOH) ad revenue in Malaysia rose from US$62 million in 2010 to US$82 million in 2014, a 30% increase.
APPIES Malaysia 2016 Marketing Conference open for registrations!
‘2-day MBA’ in Marketing, ‘TED of Marketing’, call it what you will, and come what may, we will see you on May 19 & 20 at the Eastin Hotel.
• 36 latest Marketing Case-Studies
• 22 marketing leaders as Judges
• 3 top-notch Keynote Speakers
* 4 Game-Changing Panel Speakers
Says Chief Judge Adam Wee Abdullah, Group CMO of CIMB Banking Group about judging the entries, “Clarity in the Objective statement is fundamental. If this is not clear, the solutions will not be clear as well. It is also important to juxtapose the expected outcome against the Objective statement so you can gauge if the strategies are aligned. It’s a bit like looking through the scope of a sniper’s rifle.”
Date: 19 & 20 May, 2016
Venue: The Grand Ballroom, Eastin Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Time: 8.30am – 6.00pm
To register, go to APPIES REGISTRATION.
Download full brochure here.
Or contact Ruby on 03-7726 2588, firstname.lastname@example.org
APPIES Malaysia 2016 judges:
• Abdul Sani Abdul Murad – Head of Marketing, HSBC Malaysia
• Ben Mahmud – Head of Retail Marketing, Shell Malaysia Trading
• Eric Wong – Marketing Director, IBM Malaysia
• Fiona Liao – Chief Brand Officer, Prudential Assurance Malaysia
• Jasmine Lee – Chief Marketing Officer, U Mobile
• Jauhar Munir Shaikh – FVP, Brand Marketing for F&N Malaysia
• Loh Keh Jiat – CMO, Digi Telecommunications Sdn Bhd
• Mark Ng – ASEAN Marketing Director, Castrol
• Martin Soong – Marketing Manager, Fonterra Brands Malaysia
• Matthew Ho – Regional Digital Marketing Director, Huawei Technologies Malaysia
• Nirinder Singh Johl – GM of Strategic Communications, Tenaga Nasional Berhad
• Noreen Sabrina – Head of Brand Communications- Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC)
• Pan Choi Yen – GM of Marketing, WIPRO-UNZA Malaysia
• Philip Whittaker – Group Chief Marketing Officer, Themed Attractions & Resorts
• Rizan Ismail – Head of Brand Management, PETRONAS
• Santharuban T. Sundaram – Group Marketing Manager, Permanis Sandilands
• Stephane Vilquin – Marketing Director, Campbell Soup Southeast Asia
• Syahar Khalid – Digital Engagement Manager, Nestlé Products Malaysia
• Vincent Chong – Marketing Director of Unilever Malaysia
• Zaki Zin – Marketing Director, Wyeth Nutrition Malaysia
• Zalman Aefendy Zainal Abidin – Chief Marketing Officer, Celcom AXIATA