For the next few weeks, MARKETING Magazine will be featuring all 27 winners of The APPIES Malaysia Marketing Campaign Awards 2020 by sharing one campaign per day. Consider this your daily dose of inspiration from Malaysia’s best marketing campaigns, judged by a jury of 28 marketing leaders who have made their mark in various industries.
GOLD Winner in Consumer & Business Services category
SILVER Winner in Digital & Social category
Campaign: Jangan @JelesEk. Jumpa di Toppen!
Brand: Toppen Shopping Centre
Ensemble Worldwide, a division of IPG Mediabrands
Jennifer Wee, Senior Art Director
Hannah Sim, Copywriter
Galen Lau, Strategic Planner
Chong Jia Ling, Associate Brand Director
IKEA Southeast Asia
Andrew Yeoh, Head of Marketing & Innovation
Natasha Aziz, Marketing Manager – Shopping Centre
Nicole Tong, Marketing Manager – Toppen Shopping Centre
Siti Nurviviany Khirruddin, Assistant Marketing Manager – Toppen Shopping Centre
Presenter: Natasha Aziz, Marketing Manager, IKEA Southeast Asia.
A Johor based shopping complex, Toppen Shopping Centre, wanted to position itself as different from the sea of malls that exist in Malaysia. What better way to do that than a hyper-localised campaign that celebrates local state pride? This winning campaign was pivotal in establishing the mall’s connection with Johoreans by showing its commitment to become an integral hub of the local community.
The campaign set out to create a series branded content from two of Johor’s superstars, Joe Flizzow and Joyce Chu who invited everyone to visit the mall for its launch in a cheeky colloquial lingo.
One of the contributing factors to the campaign’s success was the decision to use more than just the conventional advertising channels to invite people for the launch. By dominating YouTube’s masthead, partnering with TikTok and using platforms such as OOH, Grab and Waze, Toppen Shopping Center’s launch saw bigger success than they had anticipated.
To truly stand out from other shopping malls, the following launch metrics were used as a goal:
• Establish Toppen’s brand perception and brand experience vs competitors, achieving overall awareness of 60% within its first year.
• Establish brand funnel performance, driving conversions between “awareness”, “visited” and “purchased” based on the targets derived from strong performance of other centre launches:
- Awareness = 60%
- Visitation = 40%
- Conversion = 70%
- Purchase = 28%
• Drive visitation to Toppen, with ambitious footfall targets of more than 1 million visitors within just over a month of opening.
• Build brand affinity, conversations, and engagements on social media.
Below are more specific details on the campaign and the results it achieved, based on the campaign submission we received:
THE BIG IDEA
We designed Toppen to serve the needs of the community, differentiating us from other formulaic malls.
This pride for Toppen resonated with an insight from our audience: Johoreans are extremely proud of where they are from. They love all things local from their homegrown heroes to their dialect of ending sentences with ek (their lah!).
Our strategy: Create a hyper-localised campaign celebrating the state pride of Johoreans.
Our big idea was a call-to-action uniting Johoreans: Don’t be #JelesEk (jealous) of Johor, join us.
We ditched the conventional ad in favour of high impact branded entertainment spearheaded by two Johorean superstars. Joe Flizzow and Joyce Chu created a music video inviting everyone to Toppen, using state’s vernaculars (BM, Hokkien and Mandarin). This anthem was adopted across media touchpoints to meet the objectives our brand funnel:
The video rollout across mass media such as TV and digital (YouTube, Facebook and Instagram) created top of mind. We dominated YouTube’s masthead nationwide on opening day. Impactful billboards, bus wraps, press ads, and a Grab takeover of 70 cars ensured visibility of our USPs.
To drive visitation, radio cruisers entertained shoppers. Our first-in-Malaysia TikTok mall integration, with a branded AR filter encouraged everyone to visit our TikTokable spots. On Waze, our e-voucher integrated car icon change and zero speed takeover incentivised users to redeem rewards at Toppen.
3) Purchase & Loyalty
Our app and CRM programme rewarded purchases. KOLs and content platforms partnerships secured brand credibility with positive testimonials.
The campaign ignited a connection between Toppen and Johoreans:
• Within two months of launch, brand health scores revealed that the awareness level was at 82%! We are ahead of our targeted awareness by 3 years! This put us within the top eight most recognised shopping centres in Johor Bahru. Others on the list are longstanding players in the scene.
• Overall brand funnel performance was strong, surpassing original targets:
- Awareness = 82% (Index 137)
- Visitation = 65% (Index 163)
- Conversion = 93% (Index 133)
- Purchase = 61% (Index 218)
• 65% of respondents based in Johor were also aware of our #JelesEk campaign.
• Toppen was ranked the most family-friendly mall compared to other more established shopping centres in Johor.
• Footfall of visitors within the campaign period indexed 148 against targets.
• Total mall sales index was 339, tripling vs our ambitious targets.
• NPS scores registered at 28, which was the highest score of all shopping centres in Johor. (Source: Independent 3rd party competitive research, n=800).
• The #JelesEk music video garnered over 6,7 million views across all digital platforms.
• Our TikTok partnership was Malaysia’s most successful branded campaign ever and one of their most successful campaigns in Southeast Asia, with a total of 37,230 submissions, 42.1 million views (and counting!) and over 2.7 million engagements (likes, shares, comments)! This is 3.3x more submissions than TikTok’s most successful campaign in Malaysia.
• Facebook fan growth of 769% during the campaign period.
To view the full list of APPIES 2020 winners, click here.
MARKETING Magazine is not responsible for the content of external sites.
The APPIES is an annual event that presents a rare opportunity for creative, media, digital and marketing agencies or brands to present their best campaigns to the industry.
This is the only event where Live Presentations meets Live Judging.
Similar to TED Talks, The APPIES is the chance for great presenters with outstanding work to show it off to some of the industry’s most important industry leaders.
This year’s winners will receive Gold, Silver or Bronze trophies for 10 categories, and 7 special Best of Best categories (red trophies) that require no submissions!
Campaign entries must have run between June 2022 to May 2023
For more details visit https://appies.com.my/ or contact Vishnu