Google Malaysia yesterday organized a gathering of media friends and brand leaders for the official release of the YouTube Ads leaderboard for the months of January-June 2015.
Without further ado, here are the Top 10 ads:
#1 Malaysia Airlines
Title: BLESSINGS, A Malaysian story – #keepflying – Chinese New Year 2015 short film (11:52)
Media Agency: Rally Worldwide
Title: Hotlink 恭喜發財: Grannies Sing Ohhsome Hotlink CNY Song! (2:46)
Media: Mindshare | Creative: APD
Title: Maxis CNY 2015 TVC #ThisIsMyName (3:47)
Media: Mindshare | Creative: Leo Burnett
Title: Tesco #Ongmali 2015 CNY Commercial (0:48)
#5 Tenaga Nasional
Title: Share the Lights – Tenaga Nasional / TNB – Chinese New Year / CNY 2015 (2:00)
Creative: Leo Burnett
#6 Nestle Koko Krunch
Title: Nestle Koko Krunch | Watch the Minions get up to their usual mischief! (0.20)
Title: 2015 All-New Honda HR-V – See Amazing From Every Angle (TVC) (0.30)
Media: Dentsu Media | Creative: Dentsu Utama
Title: 刀标油感人短片 – 加油 | Add Oil – A short film by Knife (10.00)
Title: Road To Ramlee – Episode 2: Ragam Ujibakat (Audition Antics) (8.21)
Media Agency: Starcom MediaVest Group | Creative Agency: Leo Burnett
Title: 11street: “WE MEET AGAIN” starring Lee Min Ho and Emily Chan (0.30)
This list represents the 10 ads on YouTube that resonated most with audiences across the country over the first six months of the year. This leaderboard celebrates the brands that performed best in Malaysia through a combination of popularity and promotion.
Marketing heads from online retail entity 11th Street, Malaysia Airlines and Maxis were in attendance as well; not just to represent their brands who had made it into the Top 10 but also to share their own insights regarding the strategies employed by their brands and discussed the effective points they gleaned from their brand’s campaigns.
Trends & Insights:
- Seizing the moment. With Chinese New Year celebrations falling within the six-month period, it’s no surprise that half of the ads were related to this important festive occasion. Four of the ads did really well to tell great, emotional stories around the theme of family, homecoming and nostalgia for the New Year.
- Ads that take their time. The leaderboard is yet again dominated by ads that were born digital, with formats created specifically with YouTube’s audience in mind. If we look at the length of the videos: all 10 are well beyond the traditional TV 30 seconds, with three ads past the 7 minute mark with the longest close to 12 minute. This shows that viewers on YouTube will engage with longer videos from brands as long as there is a compelling, emotional pull.
- Lights, camera, ads! What’s really striking about these ads is their cinematic quality, Maxis’ “This Is My Name”, with its carefully crafted shots and thoughtful voiceover, plays more like a short film than an ad. Tenaga’s tale of un-neighbourly competition is also entertaining as a short film in its own right and Knife’s 10-minute tale of a daughter’s reconciliation with her mother is an emotional story first, a way to promote cooking oil second. The reason why these brands have taken the time to create these great stories is that no one comes to YouTube looking for ads, but if brands have stories to tell, why not?
Update your Digital IQ in one day!
For the fifth year running, we are bringing back the famous Best of Global Digital Marketing Conference to KL! The Best of Global Digital Marketing conference has won popularity in more than 30 cities around the world from Singapore, Moscow, Jakarta, Istanbul to Amsterdam, Johannesburg, Prague, Shanghai, Seoul, etc.
Featuring leading award-winning campaigns covering brands from McDonald’s, Gillette to Emirates and more.
Speakers with digital domain expertise:
- Hando Sinisalu CEO at Best Marketing International
- Alex Roman Ocampo Managing Director Jigso Digital Solutions Inc.
- Vesa Tujunen Executive Creative Director TBWA\Helsinki
Unique case-study based learning, as our team monitors over 200 digital marketing award shows across the globe and interviews the winners. Based on this extensive work, we produce in-depth case studies.
Date: 3 August, 2015 (Monday)
Venue: Grand Ballroom, Sime Darby Convention Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
Time: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Book your seats early: call Ruby on 03-77262588 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Full details: http://best-marketing.eu/events/my
HRDF-Claimable! Download event PDF here