(Marketingmagazine.com.my) – Stay tuned as we bring you fresh insights from our APPIES event.
For a background info on our speakers visit our APPIES website at www.appies.com.my
GOOD MORNING! – What an amazing crowd we have today, the creative folks of the advertising world together in one room bright and early, waiting for our event to begin.
Let’s Begin -The backbone of the event Mr.Harmandar Singh addressing the crowd of eager learners ready to start learning at the ‘TED of Marketing’
Smart Marketing– Chief Judge Mohamed Adam Wee Abdullah shares what they are looking out for in a winning presentation.
A journey of continuous learning – A man with such a wide experience Dato’ Sri Shazalli Ramly. Chief Executive Officer of Celcom Axiata takes the stage. His experience spanning from BAT to Unilever, he shares his journey through technology, evolving products and trends throughout his career.
“CMO’s have to change, you just have to cut your hair” his advice as sharp as his wit. So what does today’s CMO’s need to think of when leading their team? Here are some of Dato’ Shazali’s takeaways:
- Think customers need first vs technology first
- Be open to change
- Any need that can be serves by new technology? USE IT
- Be agile in tapping into the needs of people… if you don’t others will
- Manage complexities
- Build new marketing capabilities
Wrapping up his talk Dato’ Shazali leaves everyone with a final note, if he was recruiting for a new CMO for his organization what would he be looking out for? His final slide below best summarises it:
Pitch your heart out – And so it begins, good luck to all the marketers and agencies! Here’s a sneak peak into Unifi’s presentation. We also just heard from AIA, PETRONAS, Unifi, BSN Corporate, The Yasmin Project Judges are asking some hard hitting questions!
Delicious food, new partnerships – All participants back in one room for our lunch and networking break. We might have overheard a brand marketer in the crowd inviting agency for a meeting to discuss their latest campaign… looks like lunch came with a side of dessert for someone. Speaking of desert lucky delegates got to sample the top 3 Deserts in Klang Valley courtesy of FriedChillies. Their picks were, Jaslyn’s Peanut Butter Chocolate cake, Marmo’s Victoria Sponge Cake and Dotty’s Salted Duck Egg Cronuts, do you agree?
Marketing’s Perfect Storm – Was the title of media maverick Henry Tan, Astro’s Chief Operating Officer’s gloomy prediction of where the industry was heading towards. In his electrifying keynote speech, delegates listened as he outlined the challenges faced by the industry and his hopes of where it should be moving towards.
Below are some brief insights from Henry’s talk:
- Marketers should not get too bogged down with numbers and push aside creativity and engaging content
- Creative and media agencies are working on the opposite sides, instead of being split they should be working together to create even greater work
- There is no one size fits all approach as mass advertising is becoming less relevant to the consumers of today. Instead, advertising needs to be contextual and relevant to its target audience
- Data without insights and application becomes meaningless, marketers should also look at what the people want, how they decide and consume.
- Marketing in today’s day and age is all about being present in real time. How can one be live 24/7? The key is to navigate and learn on the go.
So what do marketers need to do to survive the storm? Fostering creativity back into the business said, Henry. He then shared with the audience on how Lego, in the past year had gone from near bankruptcy, to becoming the 2nd best toymaker in the world. The brand had innovated, looking into collaborating with new partners to launch its own movie and in its advertising, going beyond selling toy bricks, to celebrating the creativity the toys evoke in its advertising.
It’s the final countdown – The day is drawing close to an end but the halls are still crowded with eager learners, currently we have ASTRO’s “The House” and BSN Corporate’s “Sama Sama” campaigns presenting their cases to the judges.
It’s a wrap – A day with amazing presenters, valuable insights and probing questions, Day 1 ended with a bang! Be sure to stay tuned to our website tomorrow for our LIVE updates from Day 2! #MYAPPIES2016
Stay tuned for tomorrow’s updates….
APPIES Malaysia 2016 Marketing Conference open for registrations!
‘2-day MBA’ in Marketing, ‘TED of Marketing’, call it what
you will, and come what may, we will see you on May 19 & 20 at the Eastin Hotel.
• 36 latest Marketing Case-Studies
• 22 marketing leaders as Judges
• 3 top-notch Keynote Speakers
* 4 Game-Changing Panel Speakers
Says Chief Judge Adam Wee Abdullah, Group CMO of CIMB Banking Group about judging the entries, “Clarity in the Objective statement is fundamental. If this is not clear, the solutions will not be clear as well. It is also important to juxtapose the expected outcome against the Objective statement so you can gauge if the strategies are aligned. It’s a bit like looking through the scope of a sniper’s rifle.”
Date: 19 & 20 May, 2016
Venue: The Grand Ballroom, Eastin Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Time: 8.30am – 6.00pm
To register, go to APPIES REGISTRATION.
Download full brochure here.
Or contact Ruby on 03-7726 2588, email@example.com
APPIES Malaysia 2016 judges:
• Abdul Sani Abdul Murad – Head of Marketing, HSBC Malaysia
• Ben Mahmud – Head of Retail Marketing, Shell Malaysia Trading
• Eric Wong – Marketing Director, IBM Malaysia
• Fiona Liao – Chief Brand Officer, Prudential Assurance Malaysia
• Jasmine Lee – Chief Marketing Officer, U Mobile
• Jauhar Munir Shaikh – FVP, Brand Marketing for F&N Malaysia
• Loh Keh Jiat – CMO, Digi Telecommunications Sdn Bhd
• Mark Ng – ASEAN Marketing Director, Castrol
• Martin Soong – Marketing Manager, Fonterra Brands Malaysia
• Matthew Ho – Regional Digital Marketing Director, Huawei Technologies Malaysia
• Nirinder Singh Johl – GM of Strategic Communications, Tenaga Nasional Berhad
• Noreen Sabrina – Head of Brand Communications- Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC)
• Pan Choi Yen – GM of Marketing, WIPRO-UNZA Malaysia
• Philip Whittaker – Group Chief Marketing Officer, Themed Attractions & Resorts
• Rizan Ismail – Head of Brand Management, PETRONAS
• Santharuban T. Sundaram – Group Marketing Manager, Permanis Sandilands
• Stephane Vilquin – Marketing Director, Campbell Soup Southeast Asia
• Syahar Khalid – Digital Engagement Manager, Nestlé Products Malaysia
• Vincent Chong – Marketing Director of Unilever Malaysia
• Zaki Zin – Marketing Director, Wyeth Nutrition Malaysia
• Zalman Aefendy Zainal Abidin – Chief Marketing Officer, Celcom AXIATA