The #AtTheEdge campaign demands that the Malaysian government:
- Lift the suspension of The Edge Financial Weekly and The Edge Financial Daily immediately.
- Unblock access to whistleblower site Sarawak Report.
- Respect Malaysians’ right to information about 1MDB.
Malaysians have a right to know how 1MDB racked up RM42 billion in debts. We also have a right to an explanation about how RM2.67 billion found its way to the bank account of Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak – where it came from and what he did with the money – issues which have been publicly raised and remain unanswered.
Muzzling The Edge and blocking Sarawak Report prevents citizens from their right to seek information from various sources and formulate their opinion on these important questions.
If you care about getting answers about 1MDB, and holding the government accountable for how it spends tax payer’s money, here’s what you can do:
- Subscribe to The Edge’s online edition
Get 10 people to subscribe to The Edge’s online edition for an annual fee of only RM304. Go here to buy your subscription.
- As individuals, wear blue or black every Monday beginning July 27 to protest how the Malaysian government has bruised our right to information about a matter of national importance.
- Participate in #AtTheEdge social media campaign every Tuesday.
Beginning Tuesday, July 28, flood social media feeds between 8.30pm and 10.30pm with the suggested messages below:
“Malaysians Demand: Free The Edge. Free Sarawak Report. Respect the right to Freedom of Information on #1MDB. #AtTheEdge”.
“Rakyat Malaysia Menuntut: Bebas The Edge. Bebas Sarawak Report. Hormati hak kebebasan maklumat isu #1MDB. #AtTheEdge”.
Do this every Tuesday at the same time on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram etc to raise attention ahead of the weekly cabinet meeting on Wednesday. Remember to tag Prime Minister Najib Razak and his cabinet members.
- Media personnel show support on Wednesday, 29 July.
Fellow journalists who want to support this campaign, here’s what you can do. Wear blue or black and carry a placard with these demands in your newsroom, snap a photo, and report on it or share it on social media.
- Show your solidarity at The Edge office on Friday, July 31 at 3pm at Menara KLK, No 1 Jalan PJU 7/6, 47810 PJ, Selangor. This mass gathering is being led by the Coalition for Press Freedom comprising Gerakan Media Marah (Geramm), the Institute of Journalists (IoJ), Reporters sans Frontières (RSF), Center for Independent Journalism (CIJ), and the Foreign Correspondents Club of Malaysia.
- Website owners can show their support by blacking out their landing page and replacing it with a pop-up message with the #AtTheEdge demands for 24 hours on Aug 3. Please get in touch if you would like to participate in this act of support.
- Participate in a mass rally on Saturday, Aug 8 in Kuala Lumpur. Details will be announced later by the Coalition for Press Freedom and other civil society organisations.
The #AtTheEdge ad-hoc committee includes individuals who are journalists and editors, former journalists and editors, and individuals who work on and for press freedom and freedom of information. They are Alyaa Alhadjri, Chak Onn Lau, Fathi Aris Omar, Hazlan Zakaria, Jac SM Kee, Jacqueline Ann Surin, Maria Chin Abdullah, Masjaliza Hamzah and Steven Gan.
Update your Digital IQ in one day!
For the fifth year running, we are bringing back the famous Best of Global Digital Marketing Conference to KL! The Best of Global Digital Marketing conference has won popularity in more than 30 cities around the world from Singapore, Moscow, Jakarta, Istanbul to Amsterdam, Johannesburg, Prague, Shanghai, Seoul, etc.
Featuring leading award-winning campaigns covering brands from McDonald’s, Gillette to Emirates and more.
Speakers with digital domain expertise:
- Hando Sinisalu CEO at Best Marketing International
- Alex Roman Ocampo Managing Director Jigso Digital Solutions Inc.
- Vesa Tujunen Executive Creative Director TBWA\Helsinki
Unique case-study based learning, as our team monitors over 200 digital marketing award shows across the globe and interviews the winners. Based on this extensive work, we produce in-depth case studies.
Date: 3 August, 2015 (Monday)
Venue: Grand Ballroom, Sime Darby Convention Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
Time: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Book your seats early: call Ruby on 03-77262588 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Full details: http://best-marketing.eu/events/my
HRDF-Claimable! Download event PDF here